Digital Readout (DRO) For Lathes & Milling Machines
This project, although completed and working is, as yet incompletely documented. My apologies for this, but I’ve had to completely revise and amend my original documentation due to design changes.
The project is quite detailed and to make it easier for users to navigate & comment on a particular part of the design has been presented in a series of manageable chunks as follows:
- 3 scale inputs X, Y & Z.
- Edge Finder/Tachometer input.
- 3” X 1” Backlit LCD Display.
- 21-key keypad.
- Audible indication of keypress.
- Inch/mm selection.
- Absolute/Increment selection.
- Mode/ZERO commands to scales.
- Rich set of functions including:
- Set individual scale effective direction.
- Toggle individual scale processing.
- Set/clear Diameter Mode.
- Define Tool offsets.
- Use Tool Offsets.
- Cycle through Tool Offsets
- Set scale processing filter value.
- Set/clear Truncate scale reading.
- Display Absolute/Increment zero settings.
- Define PCD Bolt hole patterns
- Cycle through Bolt Hole patterns.
- Use Bolt Hole pattern.
- Toggle Display Back-light.
- Toggle Display Cursor on/off.
- Enable/Disable output of scale information to PC via USB link.
- Select Baud rate for USB link.
- Select Edge Finder polarity.
- Set up defaults held in non-volatile memory. (EEPROM)
The Digital Readout prototype fitted to a SIEG Mini-mill
|Digital Readout Photo Galleries
Photos of DRO on SIEG milling machine
Photos of prototype DRO final assembly
Photos of Assembly & Test of DRO Keypad
Photos of DRO V1.00 Assembly & Test
Photos whilst making DRO V1.00 Enclosure
Board Layouts for above
Added 25th/26th August 2010: Complete DRO Eagle project & ancilliary Schematics
Added 25th/26th August 2010: Full Source Code and Compiled Binary
Copy the code below to your web site.